Sutro Baths



mitchell_373.png scheff_132.png pacific_3403.png
mitchell_373_b.png scheff_132_b.png pacific_3403_b.png

Former San Francisco mayor Adolph Sutro opened Sutro Baths, then the largest indoor baths in the world, in 1896. Left: Mitchell 373 shows the entrance from Point Lobos road. Center: Scheff 132 (postmarked SF 8/02/1908) shows the promenade level of the Baths, including a postcard kiosk ("Views"). Right: Pacific Novelty 3403 (postmarked SF 10/15/1909) looks past the Baths toward Cliff House, also owned by Sutro. Cliff House from Sutro Baths shows more cards giving this view.



mitchell_135a.png britton_442.png weidner_113b.png weidner_636.png
mitchell_135a_b.png britton_442_b.png weidner_113b_b.png weidner_636_b.png

Mitchell 135 (postmarked SF 12/02/1902), Britton & Rey 442, Weidner 113, and Weidner 636 show bathers enjoying the huge pools inside the Baths.



Steve's SF postcard pages: