Cliff House from Sutro Baths



unknown_52.png pacific_3403.png mitchell_030.png
unknown_52_b.png pacific_3403_b.png mitchell_030_b.png

Former San Francisco mayor Adolph Sutro built the Victorian Cliff House #3 (Britton & Rey 521) and the adjacent Sutro Baths in 1896. These images look south from Point Lobos past Sutro Baths toward Cliff House. Left: Unknown publisher 10, private mailing card postmarked SF 3/01/1901. Center: Pacific Novelty 3403, postmarked 10/15/1909. Right: Mitchell 30, the same image but a lower-quality print, with the construction debris at bottom center removed. An example postmarked 2/13/1909 notes "They are building a new concrete Cliff House".



mitchell_030a.png unknown_47.png
mitchell_030a_b.png unknown_47_b.png

Left: Mitchell 30 (same stock number as different Mitchell 30 above); another example is postmarked SF 8/16/1910. Right: Unknown publisher 325, postmarked SF 7/13/1911; Pacific Novelty S.F. 325 has the same stock number/caption/image but different back. Cliff House #3 survived the 1906 earthquake and fire without major damage, but it burned to the ground on 9/07/1907 (Britton & Rey 1031). Cliff House #4 (Cardinell-Vincent 400) opened on the same site on 7/01/1909. These images are identical to the cards above except for the Cliff House; in each case, the postcard artist has replaced Cliff House #3 with #4. The scale is wrong (Cliff House #4 should be shown as much smaller, especially in the card at right).

Cliff House from Ocean Beach shows a similar modification of a view from Ocean Beach.



Steve's SF postcard pages: