St. Ignatius

Location: Van Ness/Hayes, NW corner.

The first St. Ignatius Church and the associated St. Ignatius Academy occupied a small wood-frame building at Market/4th (south side) from 1855. The building was replaced by a newer brick building in 1862 and the school was renamed St. Ignatius College in 1869. A new Church and College building at Van Ness/Hayes (now the site of Davies Symphony Hall) was dedicated in 1880. The building was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire. A new St. Ignatius church was built 1910-1914 at Parker/Fulton (now part of the USF campus). The high school (now St. Igatius College Prep) separated from the college in 1927, and in 1930 the college changed its name to the University of San Francisco.


stignatius01.png stignatius02.png stignatius08.png stignatius03.png stignatius04.png stignatius05.png stignatius06.png stignatius07.png


stignatius09.png stignatius10.png


reilly_173.png griffith_23.png smith_324.png

See also:

Back to San Francisco Buildings page