Hearst Building

Location: Market/Third, SE corner.

William Randolph Hearst built the six-story Hearst Building (also called the Examiner Building) at Market/Third in 1898 as the office for the San Francisco Examiner, part of San Francisco's Newspaper Row. The Nucleus Hotel had occupied the site previously. Heavily damaged in the 1906 earthquake and fire, the Hearst Building was then demolished and replaced by a new 12-story Hearst Building.


hearst2.png hearst1.png p06.png p07.png


scheff_u03.png weidner_232.png pacific_062.png

See also:

Back to San Francisco Buildings page