Emanu-El Synagogue

Location: 450 Sutter (between Powell/Mason).

Temple Emanu-El, often simply called the Jewish Synagogue, was built in 1864 on Sutter, a block from Union Square. It was damaged in the 1906 earthquake and gutted by the fire. It was repaired and reopened in 1907, but the congregation moved to a new synagogue at Lake/Arguello in the 1920s.

Images:

emanuel1.png emanuel2.png emanuel4.png emanuel7.png emanuel8.png emanuel6.png emanuel3.png emanuel9.png

Postcards:

rieder_u06.png behrendt_211.png

Stereoviews:

reilly_127a.png watkins_3647.png emanuel5.png griffith_08.png smith_304.png

See also:


Back to San Francisco Buildings page