Call Building

Location: Market/Third, SW corner.

John D. Spreckels purchased the San Francisco Call newspaper in 1895 and commissioned an office building at Market/Third, part of Newspaper Row. When completed in 1898, the Call Building was the tallest building in the western U.S. (315', 15 stories). The building was damaged by the 1906 earthquake and burned in the ensuing fire, then rebuilt. When the Call relocated its offices after the fire, the renovated building became known as the Spreckels Building. Refurbished in 1938, it is now called Central Tower.

Images:

call04.png call01.png call08.png call02.png p01.png call10.png call09.png call05.png call03.png call12.png call06.png p06.png call07.png

Postcards:

pacific_003.png behrendt_8294.png weidner_013.png weidner_146.png cardinell_6024.png p446.png pacific_393.png novelty_506.png selige_3224.png weidner_214.png call11.png unknown_22.png doolittle_u3.png unknown_27.png rieder_u18.png souvenir_4632F.png weidner_460.png bardell_u03.png unknown_30.png pacific_I107.png pacific_I150.png

Stereograms:

universal_3.png unknown_5402.png smith_314.png smith_305.png universal_2.png keystone_16743.png

See also:


Back to San Francisco Buildings page